Groups of hosting services
A hosting service implies storing and/or sharing certain web content on a web server managed by a web hosting distributor. There are different groups of hosting services used for different aims, so let's examine them. In this way, you can elect what you want, based on whether you'd like to have a web portal, email aliases, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service made available by certain vendors, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only aim is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a table of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services often involve ads beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a certain spell of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely mistaken explanation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would split the tasks at hand between independent groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving various website hosting services (mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is only a brand of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; certain firms offer a hosting service for images only. This hosting variant is appropriate if you desire to share a vast quantity of pictures with friends or associates since the service is mostly free. You will receive a random link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to managing your electronic mail accounts. Some distributors offer web hosting solutions for web pages, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you would like to create a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to run a site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can create electronic mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file generates a specific amount of CPU load, so with several videos and several hundred web page visitors, you may have trouble with your web page hosting supplies. Embedding the video will allow you to operate as many video files as you would like without hassling about system reserves.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to possess a website. To some extent, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and mail accounts, upload video files, and so on. At 100WebSpace, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated server hosting solutions that allow you to get all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting account may be better or worse compared with the customary email/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for specific content exclusively.